GMAT® Focus Verbal Practice Questions
Get Access to 1,000 Exam-Style Questions
What is GMAT’s Verbal Reasoning Questions?
The Verbal Reasoning section of the GMAT Focus Edition is designed to evaluate a candidate’s proficiency in understanding, analyzing, and expressing ideas effectively in English. This section is essential for determining a candidate’s readiness for the business school environment.
In the GMAT Focus Edition, the Verbal Reasoning section is adapted to align with the revised format. It features a series of multiple-choice questions to be completed within a 45-minute timeframe, focusing on two main types of questions:
- Reading Comprehension: This portion presents passages on a variety of topics. Candidates are required to interpret, analyze, and apply the information from these passages. Questions may ask you to reference directly from the text or to integrate the passage’s ideas with broader perspectives.
- Critical Reasoning: This section tests your ability to understand, analyze, and evaluate arguments. Questions are derived from a range of sources, allowing candidates to demonstrate their reasoning skills even when the subject matter is unfamiliar. It involves making arguments, evaluating others’ arguments, and formulating or assessing action plans.
The GMAT Focus Edition’s Verbal Reasoning section is crafted to assess key skills relevant to a business school environment, ensuring candidates are well-prepared for the types of reading and reasoning tasks they will encounter in their graduate studies. This streamlined approach, fitting within the shorter overall structure of the GMAT Focus Edition, reflects a more focused assessment strategy while maintaining the rigorous standards of the original GMAT exam.
What are some of the Answering Strategies in Verbal Reasoning Questions?
For the GMAT Focus Edition, the Verbal Reasoning section’s preparation tips can be adapted as follows:
Reading Comprehension Questions:
- Understanding the Question: Ensure you fully grasp what is being asked. Sometimes, an answer choice might be incorrect even if it seems to align with the passage’s information.
- Review All Options: Before selecting an answer, carefully read through all the available choices.
- Thorough Passage Analysis: Before answering, study the passage in detail. This helps in understanding the context and nuances of the text.
- Base Answers on the Passage: Your answers should be grounded in what the passage explicitly states or implies. Focus on the specific inquiry of the question and the information presented in the passage.
Critical Reasoning Questions:
- Consider All Choices: Don’t rush to an answer; review all options. An answer that appears obvious at first may not be correct.
- Understand the Core Issue: Grasp the main subject of the question, then revisit the relevant part of the text for better clarity.
- Identify the Conclusion: In argumentative questions, pinpoint where the conclusion is drawn. It’s not always at the end of the argument.
- Interpret Statements Correctly: Distinguish between factual statements and those that are implied or inferential. Understanding the basis of the question is crucial.
Questions Answered by our Users
Preparation Platform By Review Websites
Some Free Exam-style GMAT Focus Verbal Practice Questions
GMAT Focus Verbal Problems
GMAT® Focus Prep Packages
GMAT Focus Complete Package
- Conceptual Video Lessons
- Quantitative Practice Problems
- Verbal Practice Problems
- Data Insight Practice Problems
- Customizable Quizzes
- Performance Tracking Tools
Stefan Maisner is without a doubt the best tutor I could have possibly found. Stefan knew the official questions like the back of his hand and he knew all of the shortcuts. Being that i have a background in communications, the quant section had been a pain point for months. Stefan also had a background in communications and he was able to teach me in the way that I understood the math concepts that I needed to grasp, and showed me how to think logically and critically about the problems that didn’t require you to do the math.
I prepared for the GMAT under Stefan. It was super easy to use the online platform and was very convenient to save notes this way. Stefan is extremely knowledgable on the testing material and really cares about his students.
As an international student I did not have much standardized test taking experience and never had a tutor before. However, Stefan really helped me improve my core skills and also helped me develop crucial test taking strategies. I was able to see improvements after every single tutoring session with him. Overall, he helped me improve my GMAT score by 90 points (from 650 in diagnostic test to 740 on the actual test), which was way above what I thought was possible.
I had an amazing experience with Stefan M for my GMAT prep. When I started the process I was scoring in the low 600s, but by the end, I managed to get my score above a 700! Stefan was also great at helping me navigate the add uncertainties caused by the Covid-19 pandemic. I could not recommend him more enough!
I can definitively say that if I did not have Stefan to help me that there would be no way that I could’ve gotten the final score I did. His intimate knowledge of how the test works, the strategy required for each section, and his mastery of the content of the questions, puts him in the top echelons of GMAT tutors. I could not recommend him anymore to any student looking to take the GMAT.
Stefan was awesome! He brought up my verbal from the 40th to the 76th percentile. Very affordable, very high quality. I went from a 650 to a 690 in a very tight timeframe.
I had already taken the online prep course from another provider and had a score in the high 600s. I then worked with Stefan to prepare for my re-take of the GMAT. I was able to increase my Verbal score from 35 to 40 and finally get over the summit of 700 (720: Q48: V40.) I would like to thank him for all his help!
My lessons with Stefan started almost right away and the approach he taught me was much easier to understand than what was presented in the usual GMAT guide books (several of which I had read over multiple times, and failed to implement successfully). I took the test a second time and obtained a score of 740, which was my target.
Stefan was awesome! He brought up my Verbal from the 40th to 76th percentile. I would definitely use him again. Very affordable, very high quality. I went from a 650 to a 690 in a very tight timeframe.